BCD and Depression

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    invincibleuinvincibleu
    Participant

At the outset, let me begin with a spoiler – “This has a happy ending…in fact it may just be… that the end is only the tip of the iceberg!”. Now that we are all caught up with the suspense, I reckon we can dive right in.

Someday this would be a book. But today it is a ‘plea for patience’. You may wonder, what gives me the authority to make this plea to you? Well, I don’t know you! I don’t know the situation you are going through! How life was all fine one day and in the next moment something deep within you just left you stunned, breathless and maybe with a set of feelings for which there is yet no word to describe.

I do not make this plea, to you alone! I make this request to the person I chose to be 4 years ago. I make this plea to the scared, timid, helpless, scarred-for-life, hopeless, desperate person who at one point of his life thought that ‘it is better to be dead than live with no hope!’ In fact, he came very close to translating that thought into action. I shout out to that person who chose ‘giving up’ over fighting. To that person who decided to be depressed than figure out the things that are in his control and the things that are not. To that person who just decided to quit.

Perchance, if you share any of these notions of the lost person above; I pray that my echo reaches out to you too.

In retrospect I go back to my Biology class in high school. While I was marveling at the complex structure of the human body and when my teachers were explaining to the class that at the very core of each human is a code. Various spiral shaped diagrams were sketched on the board and the word ‘Deoxy-Ribonucleic Acid’ and ‘Ribo-Nucleic acid’ were introduced to us. How I was amazed by the fact that the living, breathing alive me even though unique, is actually a reflection of so many others who came before me. How some traits decided to show up and some did not. The teacher told us that everything from early age hair-loss, diabetes, hypertension, hemophilia….to a few non-consequential and a few others life altering situations in human life could be explained by how these acids are arranged.

More than a decade later all of this came back to me.  It was almost like a flashback of sorts. The ride back home from my ophthalmologist who had just introduced this dark phrase ‘Bietti’s Crystalline Dystrophy’ is when so many of these submerged memory cells came to life. The days and months after that were the loneliest, I ever experienced. My family and friends were there by my side however each new page I would read on the internet made my heart and hope sink with the words “no cure”. Within the abyss of my soul, I was losing myself with my hope.

This is a plea to that person who sitting alone in his room, cursed his luck and decided to believe that “It is the end.”

He wasted a couple of years before he realized the value of life. Before he decided to understand the difference between things that are in his control and things that aren’t. Before he decided to pick himself up and stop feeling sorry for himself for something that’s not in his control. Before he chose to act than to react!

Whatever situation brought you to this page, I just want you to take a deep breath at this moment and tell yourself that “You Are Not Alone”. If you could relate to the emotions above, I want you to realize that “This has a happy ending”. I am not saying it is going to be an easy journey. All I am saying is it is up to you to make this journey rewarding and I could be of some help in this uphill task.

Connect with me on https://twitter.com/crystalsinmyeye and watch out this space for a lot more. A few super-life-hacks, I learnt along my journey to keep my emotions and mind in my control than the other way around. How I decided to be the ‘Hero of my own story’ rather than hoping for a miracle. The journey that I am on and in fact of lot of people like me are on for the greater good. Looking forward to hear from you…

“If you are being tested by fire, choose to be the gold that shines…”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.